Top Posts
Build-A-Bear recalls roughly 36,000 Heart-Warming Hugs Bears
DHS scorches Pritzker’s ‘sanctuary’ state after child rapist...
DC police captain cites bodycam footage of officers...
Socialist mayor’s blunt 1-word message to fleeing millionaires...
MN governor race to replace Walz sees major...
Amazon explores ‘The Apprentice’ reboot with Trump Jr...
FCC head says agency wasn’t pressured to order...
Trump briefed on options for Iran as energy...
Big Tech earnings test record stock market rally...
The Onion’s bid to take over Alex Jones’...
  • Home
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World News
Money Assets Saver
Economy

Ontario cancels internet deal with Musk’s Starlink as part of U.S. tariff fight

by admin August 1, 2025
August 1, 2025

The Canadian province of Ontario has canceled a C$100 million ($68.12 million) satellite high-speed internet contract with Elon Musk’s company Starlink, following through with a vow by the province’s premier to cut ties in retaliation for U.S. tariffs imposed on Canada.

Stephen Lecce, Ontario’s minister of energy and mines, confirmed the cancellation of the contract for internet services at an unrelated news conference in Toronto on Wednesday. Lecce, who oversees broadband connectivity in Canada’s most populous province, didn’t say how much the termination would cost.

“I can confirm that the premier has fulfilled his word, which is to cancel that contract because of the very reasons he cited in the past,” Lecce said. “We are standing up for Canada.”

Under the terms of the deal, which Ontario signed last November, Starlink was to provide high-speed internet access to 15,000 eligible homes and businesses in more remote communities.

In February, Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to end the agreement with Starlink in response to U.S. President Donald Trump imposing tariffs on Canadian goods. He later postponed the cancellation after Trump agreed to a 30-day pause on tariffs.

SpaceX, Starlink’s parent, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Musk headed Trump’s drive to shrink the federal government and was a close ally before falling out with the president.

Canada and the U.S. are working on negotiating a trade deal by August 1, the date Trump is threatening to impose a 35% tariff on all Canadian goods not covered by the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade agreement.

Earlier this week, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said talks were at an intense phase while reiterating that a deal that would remove all U.S. tariffs was unlikely.

Lecce said Ontario has taken other measures against the U.S., including restricting the ability of U.S. companies to bid on provincial government contracts, removing U.S.-made alcoholic beverages from store shelves and working to decouple the province’s energy sector from the U.S.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

previous post
Apple crushes Wall Street expectations as iPhone sales soar
next post
Zinc Price Update: H1 2025 in Review

You may also like

Build-A-Bear recalls roughly 36,000 Heart-Warming Hugs Bears

May 3, 2026

Thermos recalls 8.2 million bottles after stoppers eject,...

May 2, 2026

The Onion’s bid to take over Alex Jones’...

May 2, 2026

Big Tech earnings test record stock market rally...

May 2, 2026

Trump briefed on options for Iran as energy...

May 2, 2026

FCC head says agency wasn’t pressured to order...

May 2, 2026

What falling wage growth says about where the...

April 8, 2026

U.S. added 178,000 jobs in March, reflecting resilient...

April 7, 2026

Savannah Guthrie returns to ‘TODAY’ amid search for...

April 7, 2026

U.S. oil has its biggest one-day price increase...

April 6, 2026

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Recent Posts

    • Build-A-Bear recalls roughly 36,000 Heart-Warming Hugs Bears

      May 3, 2026
    • DHS scorches Pritzker’s ‘sanctuary’ state after child rapist on ICE detainer released

      May 2, 2026
    • DC police captain cites bodycam footage of officers not making arrests, sparking backlash

      May 2, 2026
    • Socialist mayor’s blunt 1-word message to fleeing millionaires sparks outrage: ‘We’re doomed’

      May 2, 2026
    • MN governor race to replace Walz sees major shakeup as GOP contender ends campaign: ‘Don’t see a path’

      May 2, 2026
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Copyright © 2026 moneyassetssaver.com | All Rights Reserved

    Money Assets Saver
    • Investing
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • World News